Undergraduate Quantitative Biology (UQ-bio) Summer School, 2023
Dates: May 31 – June 14, 2023
Location: Colorado State University
Applications are now open APPLY HERE.
The Undergraduate Quantitative Biology (UQ-bio) Summer School is an annual event intended to help undergraduate and first year graduate students acquire essential skills to advance predictive modeling of cellular regulatory systems. Participants will be exposed to a survey of work in quantitative biology and provided with in-depth instruction in selected techniques. The emphasis of the 2023 program will be image and video based experimental and computational techniques useful to understand stochastic dynamics of biological processes.
The main focus of the program is to get students working together with mentors on small projects. All participants will have access to pre-recorded technical lecture videos (approximately 6hrs per week) and will attend daily live events (Monday through Saturday) including research seminars from top scientists in the field (3hrs/week), mentored problem sessions (4hrs/week), project-specific software tutorial sessions (4hrs/week), career discussion forums (2hrs/week), student presentation sessions (2hrs/week), laboratory tours and demonstrations, and more. The summer school is designed for undergraduate students and early-stage graduate students, or anyone with a quantitative background who is new to modeling cellular regulatory systems/networks.
- Module 0 – Getting Started with Basic Scientific Computing in Python (May, Online)
- Module 1 – Optical Microscopy Experiments and Image Processing (May 31 – June 3)
- Module 2 – Multivariable Statistics and Machine Learning for Biological Data (June 5 – 6)
- Module 3 – Stochastic Simulations of Biological Processes (June 7 – 10)
- Module 4 – Master Equation Analyses of Biological Processes (June 12 – 14)
- Computational & Systems Biology Annual Symposium (June 13-14)
Questions and Contacts:
- Have questions? Check out our FAQs page: FAQs
- For administrative questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the q-bio program coordinator.
- For scientific questions, to volunteer as a lecturer or mentor, or to discuss sponsorship opportunities, please email Prof. Brian Munsky.
To learn more about the course, the instructors, the application process, please use the links in the menu to the right.
Interested to be a UQ-bio Mentor? If you would like to get involved as a lecturer or learning assistant in the Undergraduate Quantitative Biology Summer School, please contact the organizers.
Want to be informed about future q-bio summer school, conference, or mentoring events? Please sign up for our email list using the form at: http://eepurl.com/hv1oaf
To keep up to date on UQ-BIO activities, please Join our Slack Channel by Clicking Here: