Undergraduate Quantitative Biology (UQ-bio) Summer School, 2021
Dates: June 1 – July 9, 2021
We are still accepting applications for Partial and Asynchronous Participation or to join the wait list for Full Participation. Apply here!
The Undergraduate Quantitative Biology (UQ-bio) Summer School is an annual event intended to help undergraduate and first year graduate students acquire essential skills to advance predictive modeling of cellular regulatory systems. Participants will be exposed to a survey of work in quantitative biology and provided with in-depth instruction in selected techniques. The emphasis of the 2021 program will be experimental and computational techniques useful to understand cellular regulatory networks at the single-cell level.
The main focus of the program is to get students working together on small mentored projects. Participants will have access to several pre-recorded technical lecture videos each week (approximately 3 hours per week) and will attend daily live events including: research seminars from top scientists in the field (1-2 hours per week), mentored problem sessions (2 hrs per week), project-specific software tutorial sessions (2 hrs per week), career discussion forums (1 hr per week), student presentation sessions (2 hrs per week), and more. The summer school is designed for undergraduate students and early stage graduate students, or anyone with a quantitative background who is new to modeling cellular regulatory systems/networks.
- Basic Scientific Computing in Python (June 1-4)
- Single-Cell Optical Microscopy Experiments and Image Processing (June 7 – 11)
- Multivariable Statistics and Machine Learning for Single-Cell Data (June 14 – 18)
- Stochastic Simulations of Single-Cell Gene Regulatory Processes (June 21 – 25)
- Master Equation Analyses of Single-Cell Gene Regulatory Processes (June 28 – July 2)
- Monte Carlo Methods to Infer Models for Noisy Single-Cell Processes (July 5 – 9)
Questions and Contacts:
- Have questions? Check out our FAQs page: UQ-bio FAQS and Contacts
- For administrative questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the q-bio program coordinator.
- For scientific questions, to volunteer as a lecturer or mentor, or to discuss sponsorship opportunities, please email Prof. Brian Munsky.
To learn more about the course, the instructors, the application process, please use the links in the menu to the right.
Interested to be a UQ-bio Mentor? If you would like to get involved as a lecturer or mentor in the Undergraduate Quantitative Biology Summer School, please contact the organizers or fill out this mentor application form.
Want to be informed about future q-bio summer school, conference, or mentoring events? Please sign up for our email list using the form at: http://eepurl.com/hv1oaf