The conference will be held at the Bioscience Research Collaborative (BRC, 6500 Main, Houston, Texas 77030), an innovative space housing a number of labs from Rice University as well as from other Texas Medical Center institutions. Opened in 2009, the BRC serves as a local hub for research in biosciences and human health. More than just a building, it is a catalyst for interdisciplinary collaboration, creativity, collaboration and learning and is uniquely equipped to conduct small- to medium-sized conferences. Q-bio talks will be held in a 287-seat auditorium, and tutorials and satellite workshops will be held in smaller auditoriums and lecture rooms. The poster sessions and meals will be held in an adjoining large event/exhibition hall.
Rice University campus is less than 30 min drive from two major Houston area airports, Hobby (HOU, hub for Southwest) and Intercontinental (IAH, hub for United), which provide non-stop access to many major US airports and international hubs. Both Uber and Lyft operate in Houston and offer convenient and relatively inexpensive way to ride from/to the airport. The visitors also may opt to take Supershuttle (https://www.supershuttle.com/locations/houston-iah-hou/ ) or taxi (Yellow Cab: 713-236-1111, Fiesta Cab: 713-225-2666, and United Cab: 713-699-0000). For information on other public transportation options, please refer to transit directions on google maps (https://maps.google.com/landing/transit ).
For those driving to the conference site, paid visitor parking is located in a parking garage beneath the BRC (entrance on Dryden St). All parking can be accessed by credit card. Use the same credit card to exit at the end of the day. All-day parking costs $12. Cheaper parking options are available on the other parking lots within walking distance. For additional information about campus parking, visit Parking for Visitors website.
Budget lodging to attendees can be reserved in Rice Residential Colleges (dorms) within 5-10 minute walking distance from the BRC. Either single or double Occupancy Rooms are available. Private bathrooms are available in many of the double and suite style rooms.
On-campus (dorm) housing:No longer available as of 4/15 Double room (shared with a roommate): $200 for the 4 nights including breakfast; $50 for an extra night Single room: $245 for the nights including breakfast; $60 for an extra night Double room (staying as single): $300 for the 4 nights including breakfast; $75 for an extra night
Lodging is also available in nearby hotels, including those listed below that are within 2 blocks of the conference venue:
Wyndham Houston – Medical Center Hotel and Suites
6800 Main Street
Houston, TX 77030 USA
- The rooms are $155/night plus 17% tax. There are singles, doubles, triples and quad rooms at the same price.
- We have 30 rooms on courtesy hold from Monday 6/25 through check-out Saturday 6/30.
- In addition, the Wyndham will extend this rate 3 days before and 3 days after depending on availability.
- To reserve the room the attendee calls 1-713-528-7744 or 1-800-996-3426 before 5pm June 4 and identifies himself/herself as a member of the "Rice University Q-Bio Conference." The cut-off date is June 4 or until the block is sold-out.
- Parking is $11/day for self-park and $19/day for valet.
*A block of rooms is held in the hotel and can be reserved using the conference block code
Houston Marriott – Medical Center
6580 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: 713 796 0080
In addition, the following hotels are very close to campus and may offer free shuttles within a 3-mile radius that will drop you off at the Rice University BioScience Research Collaborative, 6500 Main. Please inquire about the shuttle service with the hotel to confirm.
Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center
6633 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77030 USA
Phone: 1-713-313-4000 Fax: 1-713-313-4660
5701 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005 USA
Phone: 1-713-526-1991 / 888-880-3244 Fax: 1-713-526-0359
Crowne Plaza Medical Center
8686 Kirby Drive
Houston, TX 77054 USA
Phone: 1-713-748-3221 Fax: 1-713-796-9371
Residence Inn, Marriott – West University
2939 Westpark Drive
Houston, TX 77005
Phone: 713 661-4660
We are looking forward to welcoming you to Houston next week. Please note that the finalized program and all the abstracts are now available on the conference website.
Below is information and instructions on the check-in and first day logistics:
UPON ARRIVAL IN HOUSTON – LODGING:
For those staying in the off-campus hotels, both Hilton and Wyndham are less than a 5 minute walk to the BRC.
- Early check-in into your rooms may be possible, based on room availability. Please check with hotel directly.
For those staying in on-campus dorms, please see the check-in instructions below:
- The dorms are less than a 10 minutes (0.3 miles) walk to the BRC, however, it is best to check into your housing before arriving to the BRC. You can also take a campus shuttle, but this may take more time. The bus will drop you off at the stop is located behind the BRC, on Travis St. between University Blvd. and Dryden Rd.
- If taking Lyft/Uber of taxi from the airport, use the address 6350 South Main Street, Houston, TX to be taken directly to the dorms during the check-in hours . Vehicles can enter into campus from the Main St via Alumni Drive and drop you off at Weiss College.
- If you stay on campus and need to park your car overnight, you can contact Conference Services for parking passes. For those driving to the conference site, paid visitor parking is located in a parking garage beneath the BRC (entrance on Dryden St.). All parking can be accessed by credit card. Use the same credit card to exit at the end of the day. All-day parking costs $12. Cheaper parking options are available on the other parking lots within walking distance. For additional information about campus parking, visit Parking for Visitors. No parking validations are provided by the conference.
- Your room includes a linen package.
- Check-in instructions vary depending on the arrival time:
- * Those who have chosen to stay on campus on Monday night (June 25th) will need to check-in and get your room key at the Housing and Dining Office around the corner from Weiss (Building #19 on the attached map). The office will be open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM on Monday. If arriving after hours, call 1-832-306-7715 to arrange an on-call staff member to meet you at the Housing and Dining Office to provide your room key.
- * On Tuesday (June 26th), a check-in desk will be available at the Weiss dorms (Room 123) from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM. If arriving after 5:00 PM, please call 1-832-306-7715 to arrange an on-call staff member to meet you at Housing and Dining Office (Building #19 on the attached map) to provide your room key.
- * For those checking out on Saturday (June 30th), a check-out desk will be set-up at the Weiss dorms (Room 123) from 8:00 AM until 12:00 PM. Those who need to check-out prior to 8:00 AM, please call 1-832-306-7715 to arrange an on-call staff member to meet you at the Housing and Dining Office for check-out. Everyone must check-out before 12:00 PM.
- For special check-in/check-out requests not covered by the scenarios above please contact me ASAP.
EVENT DAYS – CONFERENCE ATTENDEE REGISTRATION/CHECK-IN AND LOGISTICS:
- On Tuesday, the conference attendee registration/check-in desk will be open in the BRC lobby (outside of the auditorium – BRC 103) from 12:00 - 5:00 pm.
* Please stop by to get your name badge, program booklet and conference merchandise.
* Conference check-in is different from the housing check-in. It is recommended that you check-in into your dorm/hotel prior to coming to BRC.
- For those arriving Wed-Friday, check in desk will be open during coffee breaks.
- All talks and poster session will be held at BioScience Research Building (BRC) located at 6500 Main St. Attached is the campus map showing the BRC along with the few important campus locations.
- The optional tutorials will be held Tuesday between 1:00 and 3:30 PM on the second floor; check-in desk staff will be able to direct you there.
- The conference will officially begin on Tuesday at 4:00 PM with Opening Remarks followed by a Keynote Talk.
- On Tuesday evening, there will be a reception at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.
* The museum is about 1 mile from the dorms/BRC. We have arranged several to charter back and forth and take participants to the museum between 6:30 and 7:00pm. The buses will pick up passengers at the bus stop is located behind the BRC, on Travis St. between University Blvd. and Dryden Rd. The reception will officially begin at 7:00 pm and you can only access museum lobby before that. However, you may be interested in exploring the beautiful grounds of the Herman Park surrounding the museum.
* The buses will circulate to take attendees back to BRC or Weiss Dorm from 9:00 to 10:00PM. Alternatively, you may opt to walk (about 20 minutes, less than one mile to the dorms), take Lyft/Uber or public transportation.
Join q-bio on